Thursday, June 20, 2013

Dos ojos, por favor

Hola H here

So we've been in Buenos Aires for over a week now. We're still busy being tourists in our local Barrio, Recoleta. The pics below are from around where we are staying including La Biela (a famous cafe that has been in Recoleta since 1850!), the Recoleta Sunday markets and the beautiful Nuestra Señora de Pilar Church (apparently the first one in Buenos Aires - we weren't allowed to take pictures inside but it is beautiful).

I've just finished my first week at work - only three days as there is a public holiday today (national flag day). Apparently the president often declares an additional day off if a public holiday falls on a Tuesday or Thursday to make it a four day weekend to encourage tourism. Winning!

Work is good - there's a very different vibe to the office than there is back in Perth. Everyone there is so nice, I'm getting used to all the cheek kisses when everyone arrives or leaves and the very casual dress code (jeans to work everyday is amazing). I'm in a small office of about 10-12 people all working on the same project. And apparently I'm the first female engineer they've ever had! The work is quite different to what I had been doing in Perth, but looks like I will still be able to apply the skills I've learnt and I think it will be a great broadening experience.

Everyone in the office speaks English really well and they have all been so nice trying to speak english around me, but I am getting very very frustrated at my lack of spanish. I am also not enjoying the trip to work - about 30 minutes on a very crazy, hot, crowded collectivo (bus). Can't even imagine what it will be like in summer when it can get up to 44 degrees. Oscar has been very kindly coming with me on my trip to work each day and I have been walking home (about 3.5 kms) in the evening, which is nice to clear my head and get a bit of fresh air.

I'm still very sick and the cold weather here is probably not helping! And apparently I have to go for a full medical for work (including blood tests) this week - which I am deathly afraid of even back home with an english speaking doctor.

While I've already had plenty of moments where I just want to give up and go home, I think we are starting to get used to the crazy traffic, very dodgy pavement, dog poop everywhere, inability to buy decent fresh produce, tap water that tastes like ass, single ply toilet paper and ridiculous amounts of cheese on everything!

Hasta luego,
H

Oh and the title of this post is what Oscar just asked for at the vegetable stand down the road - he meant to ask for 'ajos' (garlic), but instead he asked for "two eyes please". Jejejejeje.

Being tourists in Recoleta
The giant rubber tree which is apparently 213 years old!
Recoleta markets and Nuestra Señora del Pilar church
Steak sandwiches from la Biela - if you look really close you can spot some bread under the giant steak covered in cheese

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy your stories a lot guys, it reminds me of when we arrived to Australia. 3.5kms, get a bike!It shouldn't be more than 15 mins! Aaand, you laughed in Spanish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be a lot of obese people there if they serve up grub like that. Does look delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Iggy, there are free bikes for hire just down the street a couple of blocks.

    Interesting comment Michelle, we thought the exact same thing but we haven't actually seen many obese people. Apparently there are further out and around the rest of Argentina. I guess the active travel life style and higher level of wealth in the city means less obesity?

    Oscar

    ReplyDelete